There are a number of laws that relate to snowmobiles in New York State.
NYS laws regarding snowmobiling
Note: to use the above link, click on it. Click on the LAWS tab and search for the word ‘snowmobile’.
This ensures you are viewing the complete set of laws pertaining to snowmobiling, and the latest versions.
Below we have listed the most common laws that we receive questions about.
- General Obligations Law § 9-103, No duty to keep premises safe
- New York City Administrative Code § 18-108.1, Prohibitions on beaches.
- Railroad Law § 83-A, Operation of snowmobiles on railroad property.
- OPRHP Law § 21.02, Snowmobile trail maintenance entities.
- OPRHP Law § 21.05, Definitions.
- OPRHP Law § 21.07, Fee for snowmobile trail development and maintenance.
- OPRHP Law § 25.01, Rules and regulations.
- OPRHP Law § 25.03, Operation of snowmobiles; general.
- OPRHP Law § 25.04, Designation of certain trails.
- OPRHP Law § 25.05, Operation on highways.
- OPRHP Law § 25.09, Operation on highways and public lands; auth. by gvrmt agencies.
- OPRHP Law § 25.13, Liability insurance.
- OPRHP Law § 25.17, Equipment.
- OPRHP Law § 25.18, Trail grooming equipment; requirements.
- OPRHP Law § 25.19, Operation by youthful operators.
- OPRHP Law § 25.21, Responsibility for operation by minors.
- OPRHP Law § 25.23, Duties and liability for negligence.
- OPRHP Law § 25.24, Operating under the influence of alcohol.
- OPRHP Law § 25.25, Accidents; reports.
- Vehicle & Traffic Law § 2230. Suspension and revocation of registrations; offenses; penalties.